Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 56-60

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 56-60 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 56-60

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    This episode gave the series a nice send off, with lots of symbolism and hints to other parallels. Tenchismile

I loved seeing the Masaki household back to business as usual. I got the happy FEELs again, particularly seeing Ryo-Ohki at last after endless debates on her appearance. dawohki1 Ryoko atop the shrine gate was very nostalgic for me. mmhmm1

While silent, I did enjoy the final moments with Momo and Beni. Also, we got to see a Juraian tree become a spaceship, without carving or physical action! WANT1 I’m not sure if Juraian space magic was the cause or Washu’s reset button returning Toshika to her original state. Either way, might this set a new precedent? Also, this has been theorized before. gendo1

Interestingly, Momo and Beni return to their voyage, to what seems like Earth. In fact, the cliff they stand upon is exactly the one from Yosho’s flashbacks in Universe.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/yosho2_zps5c5f2f7a.png" />

The shrine gate notably had no name. Again from episode 8, Momo and Beni were to met “Sou-sama”. Was Sou-sama already on Earth waiting? There are lots of open questions regarding these two. More on that in a moment. qt1

Not unlike the ending to Universe and TMiL1, the show gives a quick review of everyone’s epilogue. Presumably, with Momo and Beni set back to their original place in spacetime, Junai Academy became what it should have been. The student council positions shifted slightly, and Yuki and Rui were set back to build Goriki-kun without Washu’s insight. Perhaps Yuki can one day impress her mentor with her own talents. mmhmm1 Ukan is still Mihoshi’s superior, but is notably dressed in a standard GP uniform. Apparently, she’s a slave driver. Kiyofacepalm1

However, one wonders about what Mihoshi doused at the Masaki shrine. gendo1 Given Momo’s sword is inside the shrine, one really has to wonder how connected Momo’s world and this one are. Perhaps there are more stories to tell here. butts1

JGZinv wrote:

I get the feeling that it insinuated the Masaki shrine was founded in the TU by Juraians.

There’s plenty of evidence I think to support it leans toward TU as the source material, but is

still it’s own spin off.

However, there are several other notable indications that the OVA had significant influence on the series as well. As a celebration of the franchise, this series pulls from all sources, even Tokyo, though certainly not equally from each. I can agree that a shrine was founded by Juraians, but one looks at the front of Momo’s shrine and the Masaki shrine, they are dissimilar. Now, perhaps the shrine has been rebuilt or renovated, and Mihoshi’s dousing and Momo’s sword definitely point at the possibility. However, just like the ending of TMiL2, nothing is stated outright or for certain.

chucklocker wrote:

Thank you so much to everyone on the translation team! You guys are the reason our carnival came back around dawohki1

It’s been one hell of a ride, though, and I’ve loved sharing every minute of it with everyone here!

Nil Admirari wrote:

It’s been a crazy ride working on this with you all and being able to bring the fandom fresh Tenchi material every single day. Thank you all for watching and being here with us for the carnival.

Folks, it’s been a fun show, and my thanks go to the entire translation staff for putting in the hours of effort to bring this show to us all. Bravo, gentlemen, and well done. fyeah1