Reply To: Wanderers vs.

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    In my opinion, Wanderers can’t hold a candle to the original OVA. That being said, I think Wanderers is a fine show, and easily worth a watch (and yes, a buy) on its own merits. I’ll join the chorus of those who compare it with Tenchi Universe. The basic setup is the same as the first OVA, but it’s more stretched out, more goofy in the beginning and middle sections, and lacks the jumping animation and soaring musical score that comes with an OVA budget. The one thing that definitely holds up just as well as the original, though, is the dub. Every one of the actors returns and reprises their roles, and having played them for longer when the show was dubbed they are even more comfortable in their roles. The changes in the plot and characters are a mixed bag, and will really depend on your taste. A goofier Ifurita removes the tension of the star-crossed romance between her and Makoto, but it adds a pretty fun foil for Jinnai and his hijinks. Likewise, Rune Venus’ transformation from majestic sovereign to cutesy love interest is pretty cliche, but it does lead to an interesting friendship/rivalry between her and Nanami. Axing Fatora entirely was a stroke of genius, lol.

Final verdict, if you can get it for a reasonable price The Wanderers is well worth any good El Hazard fan’s time, and should at the very least provide a solid 26 episodes of entertainment for a burgeoning Anime Club’s library.